“Vitamin C” is a trade name for different types of products, which work differently. Of these, the “L – ascorbic acid” is the best for the skin:
- has a powerful antioxidant action;
- aid in the formation of collagen;
- is very effective in the fight against hyperpigmentation (including melasma);
- has healing properties;
- smoothes lines of expression and wrinkles.
However, ascorbic acid is very unstable and begins to oxidize as soon as it comes into contact with air. Especially for this reason, many brands have started to use L – ascorbic acid derivatives in their products. The derivatives are also used to try to avoid any discomfort that arises when you start applying L – ascorbic acid on the face (vermilion, itching …). This discomfort occurs because liquid ascorbic acid compounds are formulated with a low ph to reduce oxidation, which irritates the skin at an early stage.
On the other hand, ascorbic acid derivatives require the skin to convert them and there are not many studies on its efficacy. In conclusion, L – ascorbic acid is the most effective.
How to use L – ascorbic acid without suffering from the drawbacks?
- L – ascorbic acid should be the first product to be applied to the skin immediately after cleaning;
- After using the serum for the first time, always store it in the refrigerator to reduce the rate of oxidation;
- Start by using the product once in the 1st week, twice in the 2nd, and so on;
- Never apply the product to the skin around the eyes or around the lips;
- Always apply a moisturizer after the serum, as well as sunscreen if you use it in the morning.
Here are some L-ascorbic acid serums I have tried and advised:
- Timeless Skin Care – 20% Vitamin C + E Ferulic Acid Serum (24.99€);
- The Ordinary Ascorbic Acid 8% + Alpha Arbutin 2% (10.00€);
- Clique One C10% 28 monodoses (23.00€);
- Vichy Liftactiv Fresh Shot Antioxidante & Antifadiga (27.00€);
- PurOrganica Vitamin C 20%+Hyaluronic Acid+Vitamin E+Ferulic Acid+Jojoba Oil (15.00€).
Take a change in our contest and win a PurOrganica Vitamin C 20%+Hyaluronic Acid+Vitamin E+Ferulic Acid+Jojoba Oil serum.
Watch the video in our youtube channel and take 4 chances!!